SHIRAS SARAH CURRICULUM
Part II - Hashkafa - Ikarei Emunah
Introduction: “What” of Yiddishkeit versus “Why” of Yiddishkite
Ma'amad Har Sinai - How we know it happened - it was 3,500 years ago!
Bereishis till Egypt - Why Bnei Yisroel believed “Moshe’s version” of the first 2,000 years of the history of the world.
Torah SheBiksav - How we know every word was dictated by Hashem?
J.C. - How we know he did not change it all? We are a minority - how can billions of people can be wrong?
Am Nivchar - Chosen People: But there are “bad” Jews and “nice” goyim!
Miracle of Jewish Survival
Summation of this section; Why Jewish Nation suffers if we are Hashem’s Chosen People?
Torah SheBaal Peh and the Mesorah:
- What constitutes Torah SheBaal Peh?
- How do we know there must be a Toshbap?
- Why was it given Baal Peh davka?:
- If so - why was it written down?
- If it was handed down orally for so long, how do we know there was no “broken telephone” in the mesorah?
Machlokes; Eylu v’Eylu; Asey Lecha Rav; Lo Sasur Yamin Usemole
- If there was no “broken telephone” - How did machlokes arise?
- Eylu V’Eylu - How can opposite opinions both be “correct”?
- So if both opinions are “Divrei Elokim”, practically what do I do?
-How can all those different opinions get along?
- What if psak does “not make sense”? Lo Sasur
Medrash Agadah - Meforshi HaTorah:
How can they argue about what happened?
Why didn’t Hashem just write the story clearly?
Tzadik V’ra Lo
- All that happens cannot be simply random with no plan
- But if so, why can’t we understand Hashem’s plan?
- Ramchal - Hashgacha Pratis - possible reasons why “bad” things happen.
- Can davening or zechusim change one’s situation - and why?
- Why does Hashem turn down our requests?
- But the concept of an unchangeable Mazal Elyon seems unfair!
- But if a tefilah did not change that Mazal Elyon, what did we gain by davening?
- What is and what is not bechira - Kuntres Habechira
- Positive power of making mistakes
- yediyah ubechira
Appendix I - Additional sources: responses to “refutations and critics” of the materials presented here.
Appendix II- Ramchal - Hashgacha Ishis
Appendix III - Nekudas HaBechira explained - and its importance in healthy religious growth for teens and how we educate our students.